The mission of the Department of Geology and Geological Engineering at Colorado School of Mines is:
To discover and disseminate knowledge for society through compelling research, excellence in teaching and engaging outreach by creating a welcoming and vibrant community that cultivates critical thinking, intellectual curiosity, and integrity.
Our departmental vision is:
To contribute to discovery, understanding and education in geoscience to intelligently engineer Earth’s resources.
We have established the following basic aspirational and demonstrated values:
Experience: We deliver a unique educational experience in the classroom, laboratory and the field.
Discovery: We encourage creativity and celebrate insights in research.
Excellence: We expect rigor and diligence in our work, honesty and accountability in our actions, and we embrace professional growth.
Compassion: We treat others with respect, seek out diverse thought and support each other’s willingness to take risks.
Enthusiasm: We foster a positive friendly atmosphere, and lead with optimism.
Teamwork: We work together and collaborate to achieve results that we cannot accomplish individually.
Diversity, Inclusion and Access (DIA)
Diversity, Inclusion and Access are critical components of a healthy, thriving department and we are committed to this effort. The Department of Geology and Geological Engineering (GGE) is a community that welcomes and supports diversity in all of its forms, and we strive to foster an inclusive environment that respects different ways of thinking and being. We are also invested in enhancing access to the curricular and co—curricular opportunities that are offered in GGE.
Geology and Geological Engineering LinkedIn Page
External Sources for Student Funds
Geology and Geological Engineering Student Organizations
SEG (Society of Economic Geologists)
Advisor: Zhaoshan Chang
The Department at a Glance
U.S. News & World Report ranking 28 out of 209
Research Faculty members
Annual Research Awards Funding for 2021
Academic and Teaching Faculty
- #12 in Geology from the 2022 U.S. News & World Report Ranking
- Four large research centers
- Cutting-edge laboratory infrastructure
- Geological engineering program accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET
- High placement rates in industry, academia and government
- Loyal and generous alumni and supporters
- Collaborations with research institutes and universities worldwide
- Research partnerships with the U.S. Geological Survey and Colorado Geological Survey
- One of the best geology museums in the country
- The most comprehensive ore deposits collection in any U.S. educational institution
- Geology trail on campus (BOB WEIMER TRAIL), including a National Park Service designated fossil area