Thin Section Laboratory
The Thin Section Laboratory, located in the Department of Geology and Geological Engineering, provides sample preparation services for students, faculty, and other researchers at CSM, as well as federal agencies and industry clients. Outfitted with a host of slab saws, trim saws, grinders, epoxy impregnation stations, lapping machines, and polishing machines, the lab is equipped to produce a wide variety of thin sections and related mounts for geoscience investigation. The price sheet below lists our current capabilities.
The preparation of thin sections represents a fundamental step required for the study of minerals and rocks in geoscience. As such, the majority of the equipment in the Thin Section Lab is available for use by properly trained CSM students. Undergraduate and graduate students also work in the lab and assist in the production of thin sections.
Equipped with Logitech semi-automated lapping and polishing machines, the Thin Section Lab is able to hold roughly a one-micron flatness tolerance during the critical phases of thin section preparation. Our production methods result in precise target sample thickness and the ability to directly measure sample thickness throughout the production process. Our thorough billet preparation techniques ensure excellent mineral retention, and multi-step diamond polishing yields a superb polish.
Equipment Usage Policies
Thin Section Laboratory Sign In and Equipment Use Policy
- If you are using any of the saws or polishing equipment in this lab, you must sign in and out on one of the two sign in sheets located near the equipment.
- You must complete the basic training prior to using each piece of equipment, and your training must be recorded by the laboratory coordinator. Please contact Jae Erickson to schedule a brief certification and documentation session.
- A Google Calendar is available for the trim saws once your training has been documented. Please use this signup method to book time on the saws.
- The laboratory coordinator MUST be present while you are working with any of the rock saws or grinders. If you would like to use the equipment outside of normal lab operating hours, please contact Jae Erickson. Please stop by the office (147A) and say hello prior to beginning your work.
- All equipment and work stations must be thoroughly cleaned before you leave. Please report any misuse, broken/malfunctioning equipment, unsafe work practices, or laboratory improvement suggestions to the laboratory coordinator.
|Service||External Rate*||CSM Rate|
|Polished Standard Thin Section (1 micron diamond polish)||$ 40.00||$ 20.00|
|Polished 2″x3″ Thin Section (1 micron diamond polish)||$ 100.00||$ 50.00|
|Polished Ultra-Thin Section (1 micron diamond polish)||$ 45.00||$ 24.00|
|Doubly-Polished Thick Section (0.25 micron diamond polish)||$ 70.00||$ 35.00|
|Quick Plates(unpolished thick sections)||$ 30.00||$ 15.00|
|Unpolished Standard Thin Section with Cover Slip||$ 20.00||$ 15.00|
|Neutron Bombardment Preparation||$ 70.00||$ 35.00|
|Lazer Track Mounted Polish||$ 50.00||$ 30.00|
|Full Polish of Provided Sample (1 micron polish)||$ 20.00||$10 – $15 (# samples)|
|Dual Carbonate Stain (Calite & Fe-Carbonate)||$ 5.00||$ 2.00|
|Blue Dye Epoxy Impregnation||$ 6.00||$ 4.00|
|Blue Dye Epoxy Impregnation of 2″x3″ Billets||$ 8.00||$ 6.00|
|Clear Epoxy Impregnation||$ 5.00||$ 3.00|
|Excessive Surface Impregnation (Only if Necessary)||$ 3.00||$ 2.00|
|Billet Cutting||$ 5.00||$ 5.00|
|Oriented Thin Section (Add)||$ 1.00||$ 1.00|
|0.25 Micron Diamond Polish (Add)||$ 4.00||$ 2.00|
|0.005 Colloidal Alumina Polish (Add)||$ 4.00||$ 2.00|
|Bulk Rock Cutting or Slabbing (Per Hour)||$ 45.00||$ 30.00|
Rush Orders x100% (1 week turnaround)
Priority Orders x50% (two week turnaround)
*All external orders are subject to an additional 8.5% university overhead charge.
Prices effective through June, 2018.